Saturday 30 May 2015

Aetherworks Acrylic Tokens Review

Today I received a parcel!

I had very quickly decided that the cardboard icons and templates provided with the X Wing core set would not suffice. I mean, I'm certain they're more than adequate and have the added benefit of being free, but they just don't have the pazazz I'm looking for. So I jumped on the net and looked around through the various manufacturers of acrylic tokens and templates. The frontrunners were Corsec Engineering, Applied Perspective or Aetherworks. In the end, I went for the Aetherworks ones because they're an Australian manufacturer and I liked their Target Lock tokens the best. So I ordered a bunch of stuff.

Aetherworks tokens


I decided to do a comparison between the FFG tokens and the Aetherworks ones to see how they match up.


Aetherworks Maneuver Templates

Here you can see the Maneuver templates. Well, the ones that made it in frame anyway. I'm still learning this whole 'photography' thing. As you can see, they are identical to the card ones. No surprises there, maneuver templates that didn't match the official ones wouldn't be much use.

Aetherworks Asteroid Templates


Here are their Asteroid Templates. To be honest, these feel a bit phoned in. They're a match for the FFG ones in terms of outline and size, but the images are just little geometric shapes etched into the acrylic. I think I'll just end up using the card ones.

Aetherworks Tokens


Here you can see the rest of the tokens. I'm very happy with these. The Target Locks in particular are nice, and just a touch smaller than the FFG ones (smaller is better IMO since a lot of these can end up on the table at once) and I probably would have preferred that the Ion and Stress tokens were red instead of being a bit orange, but I can live with that.

Overall a good product at a good price that I'm very happy with. Not pictured are the range rulers I also got, one in each size (range 1, 1-2 and range 1-3). I highly recommend these to anyone interested in 3rd party tokens and templates.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'm looking at getting these tokens and this was exactly the sort of comparison I was after. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete